Volunteering and charities
Help out and volunteer
In this section we include information about volunteer activities for the Guild. We also include information about charities.
How to get involved with the Knitting & Crochet Guild
The Board is asking for members help, as volunteers or directors, so that we can build more capacity and resilience. We are relying on a very small number of dedicated members and if someone has to drop out it quickly becomes critical for those remaining. Please think long and hard about what you might do, or if you know someone who you think would be ideal encourage them to put themselves forward. Please contact any of the Board for a chat, or talk about it in your local group and come forward now. See details of how to contact us in SlipKnot or on our contacts page. We look forward to hearing from you.
Volunteer to help on a range of Guild activities
As we want to continue with the things we are currently doing, we still need help to:
- Write an education policy which responds to the National Curriculum so that we know we can offer information and activities which teachers need
- Review the current education material we have so that it is relevant for teachers and students
- Test knit and crochet Guild patterns which we can then use with confidence. We want to offer these as part of our education initiative and also sell them to make money for the Guild
- Coordinate the work on shows and support local organisers of shows. We need to plan more in advance so that we can ensure items for display can be borrowed from the collections and that we have enough flyers and membership forms ready to recruit new members
- Work on the collections at Lee Mills, especially sorting the thousands of patterns and artefacts. We need digital images of collection items, listing items before formal cataloguing, updating database records
- Set up and organise a local group to extend coverage. When groups meet is decided locally but options for daytime, evening and weekend meetings will encourage attendance
- Write articles about any aspect of hand knitting, machine knitting and crochet both for SlipKnot and for the website. Share your enthusiasm with other members and the wider craft community
- Develop the website so that we can keep up to date and add new features to our content management system (needs technical experience such as PHP and HTML)
- Do systems administration for the website and other online services which means setting up any new users, managing Guild emails etc
- Edit the website using the content management system. You can log on from anywhere and you will be trained. It is similar to word processing and you don't need to know anything about HTML.
- Promote the Guild in various ways so that experience of marketing, media relations and contacts are vital. We would like to do members surveys and have a proper marketing campaign in the press and media.
- Work on digital images and digitisation as this is an area where we can get grants to help make the collection accessible online.
- Offer to work with the SlipKnot editor and Membership Secretary as these are both important activities affecting all Guild members.
These are just a few areas where we need help. If you have other skills and experience and you can offer to do something, please let us know.
Become a Director (Charity Trustee)
The Board still need additional directors to share the work of managing the Guild which is both a registered company and a registered charity. There are legal frameworks within which we operate and there are some specific deadlines which we have to work to. Because we often have to make decisions very quickly it is essential that a director uses email so we can all communicate. To be effective we need people who can do what they have offered and do it on time. This does mean directors need to give more time, but it is rewarding and an honour to help manage the Guild on behalf of members.
See the topics in the side menu and use those links to the pages with more details.
- Join or Renew
- What makes the Guild unique
- Members' articles and blogs
- Local branches
- Convention and AGM
- Stash 4 Cash
- Volunteering and charities
- Donate to the Guild
- Guild governance
Enjoy members benefits and offers, become part of the Guild.
About the Guild
News and Events